Saturday, February 21, 2009

SADDNESS

It is amazing the high one can be on and then have it taken away so quickly

I found out today that the slate I was running on chose me as a token piece in the student body. Having me on the slate would ensure the "gay" population vote.  Of course I have other qualifications to bring to the table, but I couldn't morally and ethically allow myself to be a member of this group.  

I withdrew my candidacy today at 3 and although bummed about the entirety of the situation I still haven't processed all the information.  

I'm letting go of the best opportunity ever handed to me, but it was handed to me for the wrong reasons, and after conversing with some of my close BSU friends, I made this decision because it felt right.  I'm so frustrated that I would be taken advantage of, but hey...it's politics right...right?  

I know the slate meant well, but I can't grasp some of the decisions being made.  In the past twenty four hours I helped tweak a platform of 20 planks, and every time I had a comment, it was brushed off.  As a team, a campaign should work together for a common goal.  As I told our presidential candidate that I realized that my heart was already out of the experience.  The campaign was shady in places and could seriously jeopardize some peoples jobs.  I can't put my name on something like that.  I am as honest as I can be.  

I'm sorry for those of you who read the previous post.  There are still great things to be done, but just remember that just as something wonderful comes into your life, it can be taken away.  

2 comments: