Saturday, July 23, 2011

Summer Recap -

While I haven't logged this experience to the best of my ability because as always, I lose motivation as I acclimate myself with the surroundings, I'm happy to say it has been a wonderful experience. I'm entering my final week at the National Gay & Lesbian Chamber of Commerce and couldn't be more satisfied with my first ever internship experience.

Over the past 2.5 months I have developed truly amazing professional relationships. Additionally, I have made some great friends both in and out of the NGLCC. I've experienced what living in a metropolitan setting feels like, and in comparison to Indiana, I really like it. However, this summer has left me more confused and perplexed about what my next career move should be. I'll have the opportunity to come back here, and plan on working in some capacity over the next 9 months with the NGLCC. What I need to decide is how to capitalize on the final chapter of my education (final for now that is).

Learning is a life long process, but there are unspeakable things I have gathered from this experience that are difficult to articulate simply because I can't describe them. For example, there is a learned ability to deal with loneliness when you literally have nothing to satisfy your need for affection, friendship, and human interaction. I never had that issue in Indiana. If I was lonely, it was because I put myself in that situation.

I also feel more empowered to make drastic decisions. Leaving Indiana may in fact be the most difficult thing I ever do because the people I truly love...my family, my friends, my schools...it is all I have ever known. Whether happy or sad (depending how you look at it) this is an opportunity for me to capitalize on my passion and regain strength that I've lost over the past years. I never thought of myself as a pessimist, but I'm realizing just saying I'm an optimist is truly an injustice to those around me. I feel inspired here, I feel like me, I feel lost, but I'm content and more able to breath the optimism I thrive on.

Opportunity is never-ending, and for the first time I see it in front of my face rather than searching for it. This summer has changed me. I knew it would, and I'll be measuring the effects months after I leave, but I can tell you have laid a new set of tracks as an option for my journey.

I'm excited to return to Indiana refreshed. My sister always has a way of making my life seem less amazing. I'm sure she doesn't do this with negative intention, but she mentioned the other day, "get ready to come back to reality, your gay little DC life will end soon." While she has a point that this summer will end and I'll enter another chapter in my life, I refuse to accept her notion that this life will end. Where ever I end up in a year...I'll do me. I'm more comfortable in my skin, and excited for the possibility that the future holds.

I'm going to take the next week to count my blessings, breath in the extremely hot DC air, and permeate my positive attitude in our nations capital!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment